Monday, August 22, 2011

Recipes for all natural cleaning

I recently agreed to have an aromatherapy party to learn all about using essential oils to make natural cleaning products.

Since Amelia has been sick with her itchy skin, I have been trying to use more natural cleaning products for the laundry and general cleaning. 

Just for the holding the "Amazing Scents" party I helped make the natural kitchen spray and bathroom creme' cleanser and was able to keep them all packaged up in these Amber glass bottles - sweet!!

The whole family has commented on how lovely the kitchen spray smells when I use it to clean the benches - so fresh! The recipe for this spray is as follows:

* 15 drops lemon
* 10 drops Eucalyptus
* 12 drops lavender
* 8 drops tea tree
* 5 drops peppermint
* 50 drops solubiliser (vodka)
* 85 mls Spring Water
Put all the above into a spray bottle (amber glass or heavy duty weed killer type plastic bottle) and shake well - use to clean all kitchen surfaces and enjoy the aroma!

Amazing Scents have a website where you can not only order the essential oils but also the bottle and atomiser for just $5.95.

The recipe that I was most excited about was for natural dishwashing tablets!
I had recently switched to the eco store brand in order to further reduce chemical use in our house and was a little bewildered by the price.

So I got collecting the following ingredients in the weekly shop:

* 1 cup bi carb (McKenzies cooking grade)
* 1/2 cup citric acid  (supermarket)
* 1/3 cup crushed lectric soda (washing powder isle in the supermarket)
* 30 drops lemon essential oil

Place ingredients into a bowl in the listed order. Mix thoroughly and press into an ice cube tray. Leave for one hour, pop out and store in an airtight container. Use white vinegar for rinse aid. ( For us lazy ones  time poor mumma's - you can just reduce the amount of lemon oil and leave it in an airtight container and use a scoop).

I loved this recipe even more as almost everything you need is in the supermarket apart from the lemon essential oil.

I just had to share this as i don't know if anyone has ever read the ingredients in dish washing powder but they read a little scary! I plan on making some up today, let me know if you have a go too!!

Enjoy - Melissa xx

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow is it really that simple?!! I use the eco store brand dishwash tablets too, I can't wait to hear how yours turn out as I'd definitely like to give it a go. That surface spray sounds divine, beats my eucalyptus any day!
    xxMB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the 'recipe' - I would like to use more natural products if I can around our home, so long as they work just as well as the normal cleaning products I've been using. I'll give your brew a go...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - I love to hear from you!!!