Saturday, September 17, 2011

homemade dishwashing powder update


I have now been using the homemade dishwashing powder for about a week. The first couple of days the results were great, but nearing the end of the week, the glasses started to get a foggy appearance to them. Disheartened but prepared to persist, I have been experimenting with the rinse aid component. 

So, I am delighted to inform you that instead of just vinegar for rinse aid, I made a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and lemon juice. If you don't have a lemon tree in the backyard then just the bottled lemon juice in the supermarket is just as good or find a friend with a lemon tree as people with lemon trees are always happy to share as the loot of fresh lemons is just too much for one family!

The addition of lemon juice put the sparkle back into the dishes - problem solved!


I usually buy the big plastic bottle of white vinegar but in the spirit of "sustainability" I bought this glass bottle and plan to empty half the contents out into the old plastic bottle and replace with fresh lemon juice. And will try and soak the label off and come up with something to label it for ourselves...

Cheeky monkeys insistent on being in the photo x

I have been experimenting this morning with dishwashing liquid recipes - stay tuned..

Have you made some dishwashing powder for yourself yet??
The recipe is here.
Thanks for coming by, Melissa xx

2 comments:

  1. I have a full lemon tree and I think you have just persuaded me to give the dishwashing powder a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel

    Its been a while since I've been on White Verandah and i have so much to say, firstly thanks for the rinse aid tip I have been trying to solve this also, will be putting lemon in next load., I just love the kitchen spray., House is looking fantastic cant wait to get down your way and have a sticky beak, the floor boards look amazing what a great choice in timber. Yes and I also love this pininterest thanks to you, have been looking and looking!!! what a great ideas on there, next time you are here you are giving me a lesson!!!!! anyway going now as I told you the rest as per our phone conversation., love you Deb xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - I love to hear from you!!!